California ASCD in partnership with IL ASCD
Shifting the Balance:
Six Ways to Bring Reading Science Alive for Beginning or Struggling Readers Webinar
with presenters: KARI YATES & JAN BURKINS
When: October 26, 2022 Webinar
Time: 7:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (Pacific Time)
If you are a teacher, coach or school leader who wants to make sure daily practices are actually making it easier, not harder for children to learn, this day of learning is for you. In this workshop led by Jan Burkins & Kari Yates, based on the groundbreaking book "Shifting the Balance", you'll be invited to take an honest second look at current literacy practices, bravely considering the question, "What needs to shift?" Jan and Kari will unpack the why and the how behind six critical shifts, aligning current practices with brain science. You will leave with practical and powerful instructional moves you can make stating tomorrow! Ready to learn, reflect, and have some fun along the way?
- Explore common misunderstandings about early literacy instruction and their implications.
- Discover both the why and the how for more science-aligned teaching structures for beginning readers.
- Reflect on current practices for early literacy instruction, identifying those to elevate, those to refine, and those to replace with more brain-friendly alternatives.
- Rethinking how reading comprehension begins
- Recommitting phonemic awareness instruction
- Reimagining the way we teach phonics
- Revising high-frequency word instruction
- Reinventing the ways we prompt readers
- Reconsidering texts for beginning readers
- Understand the Four-Part Processing Model (Adams 1990; Sedenberg & McClelland 1989), Simple View of Reading (Gough and Tunmer, 1986), and Orthographic Mapping (Ehri 2014) and the roles they play in how the brain learns to read.
- Learn high-leverage instructional routines that will make learning to read easier - not harder for children.
After registering to attend for this webinar, you will receive a confirmation email.
About the Presenters:
Kari Yates is an author, speaker, consultant, and staff developer with a passion for helping busy educators thrive. Her experiences include classroom teacher, special education, Reading Recovery teacher, elementary principal, and district administrator. Kari is also the author of Simple Starts: Making the Move to a Reader-Centered Classroom (Heinemann, 2015) and co-author of To Know and Nurture a Reader (Stenhouse Publishing, 2018) and the groundbreaking new text, Shifting the Balance: 6 Ways to Bring the Science of Reading into the Balanced Literacy Classroom (Stenhouse, 2021).
Dr. Jan Burkins is a full-time consultant and author of five books for literacy educators. Her latest book, Shifting the Balance: 6 Ways to Bring the Science of Reading into the Balanced Literacy Classroom is co-authored with Kari Yates. With more than 30 years of experience in education, Jan's favorite work is conducting literacy audits for schools, where she works with schools and district leaders to determine their next steps for making learning to read easier for the children they support.