California ASCD and McREL presents:
Student Learning That Sticks: How to Spark Your Students' Interest and Support Deep, Memorable Learning
Book Study & Author Chat Webinar
California ASCD and McREL International will partner during winter of 2022 to provide CASCD members with an opportunity to read the ASCD book "Learning That Sticks: A Brain-Based Model for K-12 Instructional Design and Delivery" and engage in conversation with authors Bryan Goodwin and Tonia Gibson during three online sessions of 45-60 minutes.
January 27, 2022 at 3:30 p.m. (PT) - Session 1
Book Reading: Preface through Chapter 1 - Q & A with authors
Teaching Less, Learning More
Questions for Participants as they read and prepare for Session 1:
- What's the difference between planning for teaching and planning for learning?
- What do you know about how people learn? How have your assumptions about learning changed after reading?
- Does this help you understand how?
February 24, 2022 3:30 PM (PT) - Session 2
Book Reading: Chapters 2-5 - Q & A with authors
Sparking Student Interest and Making Learning Stick
Questions for participants as they read and prepare for Session 2:
- Do you see connections among these "phases of learning" and supporting students' readiness to learn and their social-emotional learning and development?
- What do you see happening within students when they truly connect with or internalize what they're learning?
- How long should students work on a task before taking a brain break?
- If a student doesn't "get it", what is really going on with their learning experience?
- Reflect on your own practice: How do you help students make sense of their learning?
- You've been told what strategies to use, but do you know why and when?
March 23, 2022 p.m. (PT) - Session 3
Book Reading: Chapters 6-8 - Q & A with authors
Supporting Deep, Meaningful, Lasting Learning
Questions for participants as they read and prepare for Session 3:
- As teachers, why should we pause and reflect on our students' learning?
- Why is it important for students to look back and reflect upon their own cumulative learning?
- What prevents us from doing extension activities?
- How do I start applying this in my classroom?
All Participants *$50 per person includes all 3 sessions
*also includes reimbursement of Book "Learning That Sticks" if participant attends all 3 webinars and furnishes receipt of book purchase, up to $30.00.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Presenters: Bryan Goodwin & Tonia Gibson!