California ASCD and Perris Elementary School District present:
1/9/20-Enhancing Positivity and Productivity in Your School Office
with Presenter Justin Baeder, Ph.D.
Thursday, January 9, 2020
Hosted by: Perris Elementary School District
Location: Clearwater Elementary School, Multi-Purpose Room, 1640 Murrieta Road, Perris, CA 92571
8:30 a.m.— 3:00 p.m. - Registration Includes Lunch
In this one day program for office professionals, you'll learn how to create boundaries and systems for dealing with difficult situations-no matter what comes your way. We'll explore strategies for de-escalating stressful interactions with parents, staff, and students, and for managing the challenging emotions that are an inherent part of working in the main office. You'll discover how to create systems for dealing with interrruptions and handling everything that's clamoring for your attention, so you can get your key work done without feeling overwhelmed.
A few key items from the AM Agenda:
- De-Escalating Stressful Situations
- How to create and uphold boundaries for a safe, productive, professional office environment
- Specific phrases and nonverbal responses you can use to calm people down and help them get their problem resolved
- The neuroscience behind emotional regulation, and what happens in the brain and body when people become dysregulated
- How to respond when people are dysregulated or inappropriate, without taking it personally or triggering your fight-or-flight response
A few key items from the PM Agenda:
- Dealing with Interruptions
- How to finish what you're working on, even when the phone is ringing off the hook (and no one else is picking up)
- Streamlining intra-office communication so everyone interrupts each other less and gets more done
- Self-service systems for students and staff-how to route routine requests to lists you can deal with when you're ready, instead of getting interrupted every time
- Working with Administrators and staff
- Systems for effective workflow and communication with Administrators
Justin Baeder is the Director of The Principal Center, where he helps school leaders build capacity for instructional leadership. A former principal in Seattle Public Schools, Dr. Baeder is the author of Now We're Talking! 21 Days to High-Performance Instructional Leadership (Solution Tree). He is the host of Principal Center Radio, a podcast featuring education thought leaders, and holds a PhD in Educational Leadership & Policy from the University of Washington.